This week I was able to take some other steps. Of course the relevant data to feed to the AnRep3D-generator had to be obtained from the Annual Reports I collected. It is possible to look into the pdf-files and type some numbers into notepad or excel, but a mistake is easily made and I always want to be sure everything is alright. That’s why I prefer to create some screenshot-collages first.
It would even be better to have an Excel-sheet or database providing all relevant data in a couple of columns. Then some filtering would to get the desired data, but as I’m not a professional Stock Market analyst I don’t have such nice tools.
After opening the three Annual Reports from ABN-AMRO, I looked for the consolidated balance sheets and the consolidated profit & loss tables. Consolidated is the magic word, as the four banks actually are conglomerates of several parts. SNS-Reaal used to be a combination of a bank and an insurance company, but real estate is or was an important part for several banks as well. After simply looking for the word “consolidated” (still using control-f) I was able to find the tables I was looking for.
By taking some screenshots, I knew I would be able to compare the data in my input-file with the original source, because typos will be made all the time. And if there would be any doubt about the screenshots, it would be quite simple to compare them screenshots to the original pdf (the annual report, that is). The only setback was the discovery that the Rabo 2005 report was only a front page, but after searching the Internet again, a financial statement came up. Who needs an annual report if the financial statement will do?
After an hour or so I had four files with screenshots and the values (in millions of euros) could be copied into a text file or an Excel. I think I prefer a spreadsheet for the first step. My screenshot-collages look like this (but it’s only a section of the total collage for one bank):
I admit, I took a little bit more data than the generator needed, but I really want to be sure the total of assets was equal to the sum of liabilities and equity (otherwise the screenshot was probably a mistake). And then I wanted to have the option to replace the net profit with the profit before tax. I don’t know yet if I will use those numbers, but it could provide nicer (=thicker) “roofs” in the spatial graph.
The next step will be the creation of an input-file. Apart from the numbers to be copied from the image files with the glued pieces of the twelve annual reports, the generator will ask for a parameter-line. Next time I will talk about the input-file for the AnRep3D-generator.